Does it hurt?
There may be slight discomfort around the site of the injections but anaesthetic is mixed with the plasma before injection and topical anaesthetic can be used on the remainder of skin where micro- needling will be carried out.
How long does the procedure take?
Patients should allow 45 minutes to 1 hour for the treatment
Are there any side effects?
Bruising is usually minor. Swelling is to be expected but usually settles down in 1 – 2 days’ time except around the eyes that can take 4 – 7 days to subside completely. There may be a slight purple discolouration of the skin for 2-3 days due to the colour of the patient’s plasma
Is it suitable for everyone?
This treatment is suitable for most people but not those with the following conditions:
- Platelet Dysfunction Syndrome
- Critical Thrombocytopaenia
- Haemodynamic instability
- Acute & Chronic Infection
- Anti-coagulation Therapy (Warfarin, heparin)
The following conditions may also reduce the results of the treatment.
- Alcohol consumption (excess)
- Diseases of platelets and white blood cells
- On-going medications such as aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or cortico-steroids
- Excessive UV-light exposure (sun light or sun beds)
- Unknown effects of other chronic medications
- Chronic infections
How many treatments will I need?
Patients will need a course of 3 treatments with 4 -6 weeks between each treatment. Maintenance treatments may be needed every 6months although periods will vary between patients.
How quickly will I see results?
Improvements may be seen a few days after each treatment but maximum improvement will be seen 2 -3 months after the third treatment.